By Dr. TRACY MOUNTFORD, MBBS MBCAM
Dark circles under the eyes are a common concern that plays on a lot of our patients’ minds. The eye area is an important focal point on our face, and the addition of dark circles can dilute our overall appearance and even facial expressions. With several causes for dark circles, eye fillers are the most effective treatment to reduce them. We explain the ins and outs of eye fillers and why you might consider them to be the answer to your dark circles.
What causes dark circles?
It is a common misconception that dark circles are the result of a lack of sleep and tiredness. In fact, there are many causes for dark circles such as:
- Allergies (like hay fever or even eye dryness)
- Hyperpigmentation (due to constricted blood vessels)
- Aging (thinning of the skin)
- Volume loss (leading to sunken dark circles)
- Eye strain
- Over exposure to the sun
How to prevent the appearance of dark circles?
Tackling lifestyle factors can help to reduce dark circles. Top three ways to address these contributing factors are by:
- Wear UV protection sunglasses and sunscreen. Protecting the eyes from the Sun means you will cover the eye area and help to prevent or reduce dark circles.
- Reduce alcohol consumption and cut out smoking. Excessive alcohol intake and smoking contribute to the aging process speeding up, leading to sagging and volume loss that increases the risk of dark circles appearing.
- Rest and destress. Getting enough sleep can help to decrease discolouration/pigmentation. Avoid or manage your stress levels better. Studies show that stress can increase the appearance of dark circles.
What is eye filler and how does it work?
Eye fillers work by lightening the tear trough/under eye area. At The Cosmetic Skin Clinic, we use semi-permanent Hyaluronic Acid based eye filler. It closely replicates the naturally occurring hyaluronic acid in our bodies. Eye filler can treat the depressed and hollow area beneath the eye by restoring volume which gives a youthful and smoother appearance.
The Pros of using Hyaluronic Acid based Dermal Filler
- Very natural looking
- Can be easily spread and removed if required
- Transparent and easy to smooth
Benefits of eye filler
Eye filler helps to rejuvenate the face and when done by an expert can create natural looks. Other benefits of eye filler include:
- Restores balance to the face
- Corrects darkness or shadows under your eyes
- Restores volume under eyes
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines in the eye area
- Immediate results
Eye filler vs Botox
Filler and Botox can be used around the eye area, can be used together but they do two different jobs. Eye filler is best for dealing with concerns such as hollowing and loss of volume. Botox is best at addressing fine lines, wrinkles and crepiness. To improve skin texture, at The Cosmetic Skin Clinic, we suggest a bespoke 360 approach that may include radiofrequency and microneedling with the eye filler.
Under eye filler before and after
At The Cosmetic Skin Clinic, our patients have different concerns that require eye filler treatment. Have a look below at a selection of our now refreshed looking patients.
Eye filler was effectively used to treat our patients’ dark circles concerns.
The Cosmetic Skin Clinic’s patients’ dark circles under her eyes were treated with Eye Filler.
Eye filler (Restylane) was used to address our patients’ concerns of tired looking eyes.
Disclaimer: Patient experience and results may vary. These are dependent on a number of factors such as lifestyle, age and medical history.
How much downtime is expected after eye fillers?
The eye filler treatment is quick and painless and takes approximately 30 minutes. There is little or no downtime required. In fact, you can resume your normal activities as soon as your treatment is over.
How long do eye fillers last?
Eye fillers are semi-permanent. The lift and revolumised appearance will last for 6-12 months. To maintain your refreshed appearance, top up treatments are recommended.
Eye filler aftercare
At The Cosmetic Skin Clinic, we advise our eye filler patients to do the following as their aftercare routine:
- Avoid using skincare products
- Avoid wearing make up for at least 4 hours immediately after the treatment
- Minimise exercise and alcohol consumption for two days after the treatment
- Avoid exposing the treatment area to extreme cold or heat for two weeks afterwards
- Avoid tanning, sunbathing and use of solariums during this time too
Eye filler treatment at The Cosmetic Skin Clinic
The Cosmetic Skin Clinic’s outstanding reputation for patient care and our exceptionally safe standards make us renowned for our expertise in eye fillers.
Our practitioners are skilled at being able to assess your full facial balance and offer a bespoke combination approach that is mentioned in multiple publications including Tatler. Depending on your specific needs, our eye filler treatment plan can include strengthening the upper cheek to support the tear trough area. Our practitioners are renowned for their experience and ability to put patients at ease with treatments and the results they create.
Your treatment will be carried out by our expertly qualified doctors and nurse practitioners in a safe medical environment that is Care Quality Commission registered.
Find your nearest The Cosmetic Skin Clinic in London and Buckinghamshire for eye filler
You can easily get to our London clinic from the following surrounding boroughs: Battersea, Westminster, Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Earls Court, West End, Marylebone, Mayfair, Notting Hill, Primrose Hill, Victoria, West Brompton, Islington, Bayswater, Fitzrovia, Fulham, Green Park, Hampstead, Highgate, Regents Park, Soho, South Kensington, Hyde Park, Kensington, Kings Road, St Johns Wood, Holland Park, and Belgravia.
The nearest tube stations to our London clinic.
You can easily get to our Stoke Poges eye filler clinic from the following surrounding boroughs: Sunningdale, Slough, Thame, Uxbridge, Wallingford, Ascot, Aylesbury, Great Missenden, Windsor, Cookham, Cowley, Gerrards Cross, Harrow, Beaconsfield, Chalfont St Giles, Kingston upon Thames, Little Chalfont, Maidenhead, Marlow, Oxford, Princes Risborough, Amersham, Richmond, Hayes, Rickmansworth, Hazelmere, Watlington, Wembley, Chesham, Chinnor, Woking, Chorleywood, Henley-on-Thames, Wendover, Haddenham, Weybridge, Chalfont St Peter, High Wycombe and Headington.
Directions to our Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire clinic.
Book your eye filler consultation with our expert team or call our London or Buckinghamshire eye filler clinics on 0333 920 8783.