Summary of Content
Click on the links below to jump to each section:
- Is there anything I should not do after BOTOX®?
- How soon after BOTOX® can I go back to my normal exercise regime?
- Are there any possible side effects to BOTOX®?
- How soon can I drink alcohol after BOTOX®?
- What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to BOTOX®?
- Am I allowed to touch my face after having BOTOX®?
- Are BOTOX injections long lasting?
- Can I keep having BOTOX®?
- What happens when BOTOX® wears off?
- Can I wear make-up after my BOTOX® treatment?
- What if my BOTOX® results are not what I expected?
- Can I fly directly after having BOTOX®?
- What should I do if I have any concerns after my BOTOX® treatment?
- Can I sleep after BOTOX®?
- How soon after BOTOX® can I have a facial?
The thing to keep in mind about BOTOX® is that there really is no downtime. The procedure is quick, non-invasive and proven to be safe. Procedures take an average of 20 minutes, after which you can go about your normal activities.
Here are some frequently asked questions relating to BOTOX®:
1. Is there anything I should not do after BOTOX®?
BOTOX® is a quick and safe procedure which has very little impact on usual activity on the day of injection. Tiny injections are delivered to relax the action of the muscles that create excessive movement and leave wrinkles on the skin. To allow the BOTOX ®to work optimally in the target muscle, the following precautions are usually suggested:
- No rubbing or massaging of the injected area for 4 hours after treatment, including facials.
- No strenuous exercise for 24 hours after treatment.
- Keep upright for 4 hours — no lying on your front. Avoid activities such as shoe shopping.
- Avoid headwear that is tightly fitted across the forehead.
- Avoid excessive alcohol or medically necessary blood thinning medication before the treatment to prevent bruising.
If you have any questions that you would like to talk about in person, contact our London clinic on +44 (0) 203 319 3637 or our Buckinghamshire clinic on +44 (0) 1753 646 660 and our experienced staff will be happy to go through any queries you might have.
2. How soon after BOTOX® can I go back to my normal exercise regime?
Normal daily activity can be resumed immediately following treatment. Light exercise can be performed after 4 hours but it is recommended that strenuous activities are avoided for 24 hours.
After 4 hours you may perform light exercise such as:
- Upright yoga (avoid any positions that leave you lying flat or upside down)
It is recommended that you wait 24 hours before attempting any strenuous exercise, including:
- Weight training
- Cross training
- Long distance running
- Yoga (positions where the body is inverted)
3. Are there any possible side effects to BOTOX®?
In most cases there will be no side effects to a treatment of BOTOX®. However, because everybody’s physiology is different, people can be affected in different ways. A small minority of people reported the following symptoms.
- Bruising — For the majority of patients, the area of injection will appear no different. For a small minority, some minor bruising may occur.
- Bumps — A few minutes after treatment small bumps may be visible on the skin. These will disappear very quickly.
- Headache — True BOTOX® allergies are exceedingly rare. Temporary headache is the most commonly reported symptom following BOTOX® injection, though the numbers of patients who report headaches is very small compared with the amount of treatments performed. Any headache can be treated with usual painkillers.
4. How soon can I drink alcohol after BOTOX®?
Some practitioners advise limiting alcohol in the first 24 hours and for the day prior to treatment. This is because alcohol can thin the blood much like an aspirin, and abstaining can help prevent bruising.
5. What are the symptoms of a reaction to BOTOX®?
Generally, side effects from BOTOX® injections are rare and recovery is swift. Your practitioner is available should you have any questions or concerns over minor side effects such as bruising and headache.
6. Am I allowed to touch my face after having BOTOX®?
Yes. Your face will not feel overly sore or tender. Treatment will not prevent you from washing or continuing with your normal skin care regimen. However, you are advised to avoid rubbing or massaging your face for up to 4 hours after your last treatment.
7. Are BOTOX® injections long lasting?
Although some people experience longer lasting results, scientific evidence shows that the effect of BOTOX® injections usually last 12-16 weeks.
8. Can I keep having BOTOX®?
Yes. BOTOX® does not ‘build up’ or accumulate in your system. Recommended treatments are scheduled at about 12-16 weeks. Once the effects have worn off it is safe for you to top up treatments in the same area. It is also perfectly safe to have multiple treatments in different areas at the same time.
9. What happens when Botox® wears off?
Once BOTOX® wears off, your muscles will function as they did before the BOTOX® treatment. This means that the wrinkles you smoothed or reduced will slowly begin to appear again; no new wrinkles will have been formed due to the treatment, you will simply be witnessing old wrinkles reappearing.
10. Can I wear make-up after my BOTOX® treatment?
Yes. Ideally, avoid make up for an hour or so. However, mineral make up can be applied immediately after BOTOX®. Again, it is recommended that you do not apply too much pressure during these activities in order to ensure that the BOTOX® does not disperse from the treated area.
11. What if my BOTOX® results are not what I expected?
BOTOX® usually develops over 3–5 days to two weeks, at which point a review appointment is offered to check technical and aesthetic results.
12. Can I fly directly after having BOTOX®?
Yes. BOTOX® treatments are not affected by changes in altitude or cabin pressure so flying will have no adverse effects.
13. What should I do if I have any concerns after my BOTOX® treatment?
Our practitioners are always available at the clinic if you have any concerns regarding the aesthetic outcome of your treatment.
14. Can I sleep after BOTOX®?
BOTOX® injections consist of a safe, naturally purified protein. A course of treatment has little impact on usual day-to-day activity and will not affect your sleeping patterns. To allow the BOTOX® to settle, you should avoid putting pressure on the injected area or laying on your front for around four hours.
15. How soon after BOTOX® can I have a facial?
To allow the BOTOX® to settle in and begin working, it is recommended that you do not rub the treatment area for up to 4 hours after the procedure. This includes the gentle rubbing associated with a facial treatment. We advise not having a facial within 24 hours post-procedure.